9/27 Parachuting Cats

This past week my class and I learned that during the worst time of malaria they had to parachute cats into Borneo, isn’t that insane? They had to do that because after all the old cats died from killing geckos that had horrible diseases. All the rats flourished and the people of Borneo were threatened and scared because of two new diseases that rats carried. So finally the UK decided to parachute living cats into Borneo so they could kill the flourishing rats and the people of Borneo wouldn’t feel threatened any more. After the UK did this the rat population started to lower and the people didn’t feel so scared.

Even though the parachuting cats into Borneo killed all the rats, it messed with the food chain. It also screwed up Mother Nature. I got to learn why and how they parachuted cats into Borneo. So they would kill all the rats because of the diseases. I did participate during this. I would have limited the cats they were sending in so they wouldn’t mess everything up.  What were the diseases the rats carried. What would have happened if there were no rats left there. How did it affect all the native animals to Borneo, and what would the people do if this happened.

2 thoughts on “9/27 Parachuting Cats

1. The government first sprayed DDT to kill the mosquitos that carried malaria. This caused a chain reaction that disrupted the food chain. “You can’t mess with mother nature!” The cats didn’t really die because they were old but rather from eating poisoned geckos. That is when the rat population grew and carried in 2 more diseases to the people. It is a crazy story but I am glad you liked it – great picture:)

2. Dear, Emma S

I love how nicely written your post is. I think this is a very well written post because of how well your spelling was and how good the grammar was. I found your post very intriguing. Was writing this post easy? Did you also enjoy making this? I also liked That your storyline was correct and how your detail was very nice. I also loved that the facts were all true. although it would be helpful to put question marks on the questions you asked at the end.